Innovation. Diversification. Inspiration.
Broome is a melting pot of industry with many successful businesses embracing the opportunities of this constantly evolving region, and succeeding. The 2017 Broome Small Business Awards aims to unearth these operators, offer recognition to their amazing achievements, and inspire growth of small to medium enterprise in the region.
The winners of the Broome Small Business Awards will receive significant recognition as well as the opportunity to nominate for the Western Australia Regional Small Business Awards held in Perth.
Click HERE to read the benefits of applying for a Small Business Award.
Friday 5 May 2017 - Entries close for Broome Awards
Friday 02 June 2017 - Broome winners announced at gala evening
November 2017 - West Australian Regional Small Business Awards, Perth
1. A free advertisement in the Broome Advertiser
2. Acknowledgement on radio with a 'congratulations' promo campaign across Red FM & Spirit FM
3. Acknowledgement on telvision with a TVC campaign on GWN7
4. Locally hand crafted Mother-of-Pearl award
5. Free membership and/or renewal with the Broome Chamber
6. The opportunity to apply for a state award with expenses to travel to Perth in November
The awards are organised by business size and are based on the number of equivalent full time employees. The awards feature the following eight (8) categories:
1.Home Based Business
The business is operated either at home (you carry out most of the work at your home) or from home (and business does not own or rent any premises other than your home)
2.Hertz Broome award for Franchise Business
The business must be part of a franchise and carry out all business activities in-line with the requirements of their franchise agreement.
3.Nyamba Buru Yawuru award for Aboriginal Business
The business must have at least 51% Aboriginal ownership and be established for commercial enterprise.
4.Kimberley Small Business Support award forStart-up Business
The business must have been trading for a maximum of two years at the time of applying to your local awards.
The business must be able to show that it has made a significant contribution to its local community. The award is to recognise a business whose community involvement is not the actual focus of its operations; it is about acknowledging the additional efforts made to support the local community.
6.Small Business Development Corporation award for Business with 0-4 Employees
The business must employ fewer than five staff members (full-time or equivalent) at the time of your application for awards.
7.Horizon Power award for Business with 5-10 Employees
The business must employ five to ten staff members (full-time or equivalent) employees at the time of applying for awards.
8.Phoenix Insurance award for Business with 11-20 Employees
The business must employ 11 to 20 staff members (full-time or equivalent) employees at the time of applying for awards.
9. Working Together Business of the Year**
A brand new category introduced by the Broome Chamber's 'Working Together' program conncecting business and young aboriginal people in the workplace. All businesses who display an appreciation of aboriginal culture in their workplace are encouraged to apply. This category is for Broome only and winner will not be eligible for a state award.
Winners of previous year's awards are eligible to re-enter, however should they win 3 consecutive years in the single category they will be moved to the 'hall of fame' and will not be eligible for the subsequent 3 years.
For members of the BCCI entry is FREE. Non-Members will be charged an administration fee of $200 + gst to enter the Awards.
All nominees will receive FREE entry for two business representatives to attend the Awards evening on Friday 02 June 2017 at Cable Beach Club Resort Sam Male Room.
The application document must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm,5th May 2017.
The awards are open exclusively to businesses who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- The business resides in the Broome Shire and will have no more than 20 fulltime or equivalent employees at the close of entries on 5th May 2017. You also have to meet category employee limits.
- The business is not a publicly listed company, a club, co-operative or non-profit organisation.
- The business is Australian owned and the owner(s) are responsible for all key management decisions. It must have an ABN.
- The business will have been in operation for at least 12 months at the time of entry into the local awards.
Judges are looking for demonstrated quality in submissions and base their decision on the documentation provided. Supporting material such as financial statements or ratios, brochures and samples should be included where you believe it will assist the submission for outstanding achievement in the category.
It should be noted that the judging process may or may not include a site visit.
When writing a submission keep the following in mind:
- clearly communicate the complexities of the business.
- keep it clear and concise.
- show why your business should be the Business of the Year in your chosen category, what makes it special?
- tell a story and capture the business character.
- make sure the format is clear and easy to read.
- answer the questions as asked.
To make the submission easy to read it's a good idea to do the following:
- use size 11 font.
- use clear headings.
- keep paragraphs short. (2 to 3 sentences)
- for the majority of copy use an easily read font such as Arial or Times New Roman.
- make sure the document is well spaced and not cramped on the page.
- use bullet points.
- stick to a maximum of five pages.
The closing date is 5.00pm Friday 5th May 2017.
The following will need to be included:
- The official entry form attached, completed and signed.
- Award Submission. No more than five (5) pages.
- Support materials such as financial statements, brochures or product samples, if relevant.
- Photos supplied in high resolution JPEG or TIF format of the business owners and/or business owners with staff, products and premises. (NB: these photos may be reproduced and incorporated as part of the multimedia production and printed material for the award ceremony.)
- Business logos supplied in high resolution JPEG, format.
For further information or to discuss applying for an award please contact:
|Articles via RSS|